Pencil Sketch – Study of the Zebra Horse on the Ocean City Boardwalk Carousel – Ocean City, NJ
You might say that the final “good” painting only required a couple of hours of work; but you might also be more aware and say that it took several months.m preparing to paint the Carousel that I See and feel in my mind. My first step is do do numerous pencil sketches, recording values.
1. Pencil Sketches – Studies to Record Values
The true enigma is that most people love the initial pencil sketches and think that they were the more difficult to paint. In reality, the pencils sketches are EASY, compared to my successful watercolors.
2. Digital Art – Zebra Carousel Horse – Photoshop
If I pull off the painting, it will look a bit like the digitalized piece that I did on Photoshop.[2nd photo-bottom left–with stars] When you compare the digital piece to the origininal photo, it becomes obvious that I want to say MORE than what the camera sees and records.
3. Actual Photo of the Actual Ocean City Carousel
Gerbera Daisy – Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico
4. One of my Floral Studies – Every time that I paint, I paint flowers. They are actually practice for me. The ability to see and apply color freshly and spontaneously is key to my work. My flowers are a bit like a pianist’s scales. Well, actually, they are probably more. I actually love flowers; and I love to paint them. That is why my studio is always full of flowers.
Janis Joplin – Watercolor on Arches
5. When I prepare to paint anything complex [i.e. my Janis Joplin], I do extensive value studies in pencil, When you look at my best watercolors, it appears that I did absolutely no preparation and that I just slapped the color on, at will. That is actually an illustion. I work very hard to get the values correct–before I paint. Then, I throw away about 50 near-misses.
You might say that the final “good” painting only required a couple of hours of work; but you might also be more aware and say that it took several months.